Guiding You to New Beginnings

  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Marriage And Family Immigration
  4.  → Consular Processing

Your Path To Family Reunification Through Consular Processing

The legal effort of bringing a loved one into the United States can be extremely complicated. When you are trying to find your way through the immigration process, you need to have a strong understanding of immigration law and the legal procedures involved, as well as considerable patience. No matter where you are in this process, a skilled attorney can help you through it.

At Vicki Anderson Immigration Law, LLC, I commit to providing personalized and dedicated service to each of my clients. I understand the intricacies of immigrant visas and take pride in guiding families in Burnsville, or wherever they live, through the complex process of consular processing.

The Role Of The I-130 Petition

In family-based cases, the I-130 petition is the first step in consular processing. The I-130 petition is submitted to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). It serves to establish that the petitioner is either a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident and that there is a qualifying relationship between the petitioner and the beneficiary (the family member living abroad). If you petition for a spouse, I will not only help you prove that you are legally married, but also that you have a bona fide marriage (i.e., that your marriage is based on mutual love and respect). I will prepare and file your I-130 petition so you start the process with confidence.

The Journey Of Consular Processing

If you are a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident looking to bring your spouse, children, parents, or siblings to the United States, it is likely that consular processing is the best or only course of action for you. Consular processing means that after the USCIS approves the I-130 petition, and when an immigrant visa number is available, your family member applies for an immigrant visa.

The initial processing of the immigrant visa occurs at the National Visa Center (NVC). When the NVC schedules the immigrant visa interview, it will send the case to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Your family member must then have a medical examination with the panel physician and attend the immigrant visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. If the immigrant visa is issued, your family member will be granted U.S. permanent residence at the time of entering the U.S. with the immigrant visa.

As I help my clients, I remain in regular communication with them and answer common questions such as:

I have been waiting many months for my spouse’s case to be processed. What can I do to speed it up?

If you are a U.S. permanent resident, it may not be possible to do anything if an immigrant visa number is not yet available. Your I-130 petition would have been filed as a 2A preference petition, and there may be a backlog in that preference category. You should check the State Department’s Visa Bulletin to see if the priority date (the date on which the USCIS received the I-130 petition) is current. If not, there is nothing that can be done at this time.

However, if the priority date is current or if you are a U.S. citizen, you may be able to request expedited service. You will have to prove that there is an emergency or an urgent humanitarian situation, usually involving a serious, life-threatening illness. I can assist you with making the request and making sure that your documentation is sufficient.

The NVC has requested documentation from a joint sponsor. What do I need to provide?

It can be difficult to navigate the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) and make sure to upload all of the required documentation. For a joint sponsor, you will need his or her Form I-864, Affidavit of Support; proof that he or she is a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident; the joint sponsor’s most recent Forms W-2, 1098 and 1099; the joint sponsor’s most recent U.S. income tax return; and proof of the joint sponsor’s current income.

I can help you determine if your joint sponsor’s income level is sufficient or if assets are needed. I can also make sure that you submit the appropriate documentation.

Take The Next Step Toward Family Reunification

If you need help with consular processing or securing a visa, contact me by calling 651-968-0551 or emailing me here. The sooner you reach out to me, the sooner I can begin helping you and your family with your immigration needs.